Tuesday 20 January 2009

The Brief - Revisited

Jared explained that we had to define clearly what we were going to be looking to work on and how we are changing or working to the brief as it stands at the moment... so here we go...

The two areas which I will be concentrating on are:

c) visualisation (and modelling)
d) visualisation (texturing and rendering)

After reviewing my concept work so far, the ideas, the sketches and the research, when putting it into comparison with Sam Saunders' (my team mate) it looks like a low standard.  This is one of the reasons why I have allowed him to take the major burden of the majority of the concept work.  Obviously I shall continue to do my own concepts in case Sam wishes to include anything that I put in mine into his but I think the main feel of the project at the moment can really be seen by Sam's 2D drawings and his photoshop work.

As Sam and I have decided to team up we thought we'd push the boundaries a little bit.  I came up with the idea of making it interactive and Sam liked it.  The idea is that the outside world is a game environment where you run, shoot, drive etc and then when you enter this chop shop its like a bunch of set parameters or a 'story' if you will which you can choose to edit.  The idea so far has been quickly mapped out in Flash.  Hopefully we can do this again in Flash with the buttons and all working (and looping around so that it never just cuts to another shot as it does atm).

Latest Flash Version: (download as a .swf file)
Link to View File:  http://www.uploadpoints.com/829
Direct Download of File: http://www.uploadpoints.com/file.php?d=yes&id=829

Both Sam and I know either none or little flash.  I've never really done anything on it before and when I did I was at such a young age that I was key framing EVERY frame.... animating the LONG way you might say.  As time has passed and my knowledge of computer software programs has expanded I am no longer so ignorant and ready to tackle Flash (or a bit of it at least) creating buttons to link pages and to make an INTERACITE 'film'.  Only problem with this will be the time constraints what with modelling a CAR and a CHARACTER as well.  I will start both as soon as possible though to allow for problems.  Once we've settled on the scale Sam and I hope to reference each others files using Maya's referencing system rather than importing which was apparently the cause of a lot of problems last project, last term.

Sam and I are going to attempt to keep the environment (car and character not included) to the poly count set in the original brief as we believe we can do so well.  This will allow us to put a bit more effort into the 2d concept work (for Sam) the experimentation (for Sam and I) and the Visualisation and Flash research (for me).

So far Sam and I have been working as one very well.  Pulling together in different programs.  He has managed to teach me a little photoshop already explaining how he works etc. and I have explained how I did my Flash work... 

I see this team working quite well so far and I expect we'll come through in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment