Wednesday 11 February 2009

Character Building?



Character Building... thats what I keep telling myself, it'll make me (or moreso our character)  into a better person...  The problem...  Its not the drawing at all - its clearly my lack of modelling skill when it comes to the face.  I'm really starting to lose interest with this character's face - the body I'm happy with however the face just makes me cringe.  Undoubtedly it looks better than it did previously and everytime I take about hundred steps forward and then 99 back as something doesn't work.  It's a long process and those character modellers out there are good - I admit that.  The thing is its one artists interpretation (on paper,) to another artists interpretation (in Maya) to the TUTORS interpretation when marking it so who is to say what is right and what is wrong?  If I were to say that I'm happy with this model would I get graded differently as to if I said I feel I could do better?  Alas it's something to ponder for all you people with Blogs out there and needing a grade back.  Anyway I feel I am making progress however I must attempt to keep on track with the texturing (tomorrow is texturing GALORE time) and the main aspect of the piece is not the character and therefore I MUST not get tied up with him too much... Can't wait to start the truck again... I think that if I approach it correctly this time I could acomplish it a little better.
And now the good news - I think I've found a way of making those folds look good.  Smoothing it out first and then altering the geometry creates those ruffles in the arms looking nice as well as taking off the MIRRORED image effect - BOTH SIDES ARE EXACTLY the same - hate that in a model and I feel all modellers that do that should pretty much be shot unless they are drawn and intentially made that way due to time restraints etc.
Enough for now I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment