Tuesday 10 February 2009

Formative Assessment

So it's come and gone now.  Seemed like only yesterday we started the project... but now we are officially half way through our time on this project.  I think Sam and I are doing ok as a team however problems have arisen and we have been attempting to solve them.  Problems such as the Poly count in the exterior is really over considering one of Sams models (which is DAMN good to be fair) was modelled at too higher detail and the poly count was sent right off the roof!  I think we can overcome this by looking into a various number of things.  Texturing and mapping in different ways.  This week is supposed to be texturing but as the main models (the car and the character) aren't quite finished Sam and I have decided to keep these going along side the rest of the project... a little bit on the side if you will.  Looks like I'm going to have to start pulling my finger out now ... maybe start doing a bit more worth while things with my time ... not playing so much PS3... could help. :p  I'm going to set aside an hour AT least a night which is probably more than I've been doing at the moment.  It may be a stupid hour, say midnight til 1 however I am always up at that time anyway so I figure - WHY NOT!? and at this time I find my creative juices really pumping :D

The Assessment was a bit of a grin a bare it situation in that I had to go first in our group.  I sort of knew what to expect however its never normally good as its always positive criticsm (this is just a way of telling you that what you've done can always get better and that you not that great)... some see it as a kick in the ba**s.  I think its a good thing.  Feedback of anykind is always good, especially as its a tutor who has worked in the industry and profession which I would like to get into.  My feedback was mainly good however there were of course some helpful pointers in which I can develop my work - I personally, now reflecting on the assessment wish I had of said that my concentration span has really been a bit distant this term for a number of personal reasons and that one of my aims should be hold my concentration a little longer.  Infact this post is probably the longest one I've done in Mechanic Madness so Horay for that.  So looking back at myself and the way I've been working I think I'm doing ok.  I try to be in as much as possible however currently I have a number of different commitments unfortunatly which are at a high priority in my life.... anyway... enough digresion... the feedback summed up:
1 - More research into technical skills could always help
2 - look into textures of Game Design following the conversation with Simon.  3D tutorials website?
3 - Demonstrate the core techniques - possibly explain them within the blog.  Explain my process of working.
4 - Show my creative interpretation throughout the project.  Keep linking it back to the original idea of how the shots will work.
5 - Evaluatinon of own work and compare it directly to other work in games (SIDE BY SIDE)
6 - Keep up to date with Sammy Boy my team mate.  Keep him informed though the journals we have and keep us like two peas in a POD.... STALK Sam - just kidding mate. lol

So over all I think thats all very achieveable at the moment.  I'd like to show everyone that I can model, rig, texutre, weight, light, composite, and all that jazz but obviously I'm happy to share the glory of this project with Sam and hopefully I'll learn a fair bit from Sam as I go and vice versa.  I do hope that Sam doesn't think that I've been leaving him in the dark a bit about how I've been getting on.  I do feel bad as Jared said that there wasn't TOO much communication on the group blog however I think that this will change soon - at least I'll be posting a lot more and therefore Sam himself will probably feel as if he wouldn't want to let the side down and therefore pull the finger out as well.

All in all team Ramblers are doing well but we just need to pull our socks up and our fingers out.  DOUBLE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment